Inside your home
or other building:
inside. When using alternative heat from a fireplace, wood
stove, space heater, etc., use fire safeguards and properly
ventilate to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide
gas is colorless and odorless!
- If you have no heat:
Close off unneeded rooms. Stuff towels or rags in the cracks
under doors. Cover windows at night.
- Eat and drink. Food
provides the body with energy for producing its own heat.
Keep the body replenished with fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Wear layers of loose-fitting,
lightweight, warm clothing. Remove layers to avoid overheating,
perspiration and subsequent chill.